Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pasadena Public Library

In researching Charles E. Langford and his move from Fulton, Illinois to Pasadena, California, I found a note that he had donated to the very first public library in Pasadena. I thought that I should contact the library to see if they had any other information about him. I was pleased to learn that the library has a free obituary look-up service. So, I sent an email explaining his connection to the library and asking for his obituary. The reply came today, a series of attachments to an email. Innocent enough at first glance.

What I hoped to learn was what happened to his first wife, Hannah. She disappears from the census records before 1880 when he is remarried to Maria his second wife. I got more than I bargained for. Here are the articles that were sent to me. I offer them in chronological order and without editorial comment.

Los Angeles Times
June 13, 1893

Death of an Old Resident of This City, C. E. Langford

In the death of Charles E. Langford, which occurred Monday night at his home on the corner of California Street and Euclid Avenue, Pasadena loses one of its old-time and highly respected citizens. Mr. Langford had attained the ripe age of 73 years. He was a member of the Masonic order, and the funeral which will take place from his late residence on Thursday next at 10 a. m., will be in charge of, and according to the ritual of the Masonic Lodge.

Short devotional exercises at the house will be conducted by Rev. D. D. Hill of the Congregational Church, and the remains will be interred in Mountain View Cemetery.