Saturday, August 22, 2015

Oscar Write Julia again in 1922

It amazing appears that Oscar continued to correspond with his brother William's widow for almost thirty years after William died. This letter was written on Union Printers Home letterhead and had been noted with  this comment added to the letterhead: Exclusively a Union Printers Home and 240 acres of land in connection property of the International Printers Union. From our visit there several years ago, I learned that they ran a complete farm operation there producing much of their own food.

 Colorado Springs, Colorado
June 20, 1922

Dear Sister Julia, Hillsdale, Michigan:

Last month I had some "Kodak" pictures of myself taken, the face being a little too much shaded, but I will now mail you one of them in this letter, that you may see how I "show up" in the poor "Kodak" form, taken the date that I was three months past eighty-five, being born February 20, 1837. Please make the best of it.
Since your hand became disabled, I seldom hear from you. My daughter-in-law, Veva, in St. Louis, Missouri, cannot write from a similar affliction, but her daughter Vivian and some other relatives write me occasionally. I often think of you, and will not forget your past kindness. Weather, sun shining all this month.
Owing to my hand writing not being first-class on account of my poor eyesight, Jason E. Haynes, a roommate and Union printer, kindly writes this for me. He has his right arm off since thirty years of age, and had his left hip socket injured, causing short left leg, when forty-nine years old by two separate train accidents, yet full of life and intellect. He was born October 22, 1854. Now eight months past sixty-seven-an American, and a Missourian. Long time a printer and an editor.
Hoping this will find you in good health, I remain,
Your affectionate brother,
Oscar Langford
Resident, Union Printers Home

No comments:

Post a Comment